1.13.2004

My personal opinion

The following is a response to an email I received today from a friend. The subject line was
Why I hate Republicans
In his email my friend provided this link.
GOP representative would ban dirty words from TV
My stance is, it's not a political thing, it's a people thing.
Here is my response.
Hey ---,
Your kidding right? Are you really upset about this proposal? According to this article this is a basic/status quo tightening of current law. Yes, you are correct that this is Censorship. All humans should have a fundamental right to free speech. But people seem to forget/neglect the existence of a fundamental rule of being part of a society. To be in/join a society, you must give up certain rights deemed uncivilized by that society. Currently in our society it is deemed as inappropriate to say fuck,cock- sucker, cock, shit, mother-fucker,etc.(piss, is stretching it, in my opinion) And it isn't a vast right wing conspiracy that proclaims these words as inappropriate for public airwaves. Its good old mom and pop, your local teacher, a guy @ a ballgame drinking a beer, with his kid sitting next to him.
You'd be hard pressed to find a 8th grade teacher not reprimanded a student for saying one of the 7 dirty words in class. I cant recall how many times I've been to games and heard people curse, and then other people shout back and ask them to cut it out because kids were around. I dont recall any person or parent taking care of a child correcting the kids pronunciation of cock-sucker. "No silly, it's not cook soccer, its cock-sucker. You have to emphasize the K sound." I seriously doubt these words have ever come out of a guardians mouth. The law applies to public airwaves, not HBO, not comedy clubs, public airwaves. The people setting the standards should not be interest groups for or against the use of this language. It should be regular everyday people. Writers,actors,radio personalities, and the like stand to gain the most. No restrictions give them a larger area to work in. The reality is their are plenty of areas to express your urge to curse. The public airwaves should reflect the populous opinion, and unless something has changed: shit, fuck, cock, mother-fucker, cock-sucker,etc. are considered words inappropriate in certain area's. In 20 years things might be different. Until then, watch your fucking language on the air. I'm tired now and going to sleep. I think I properly stated my opinion. I'm to tired to go back and re-write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home