11.30.2003

The Dems

I feel this needs to be said. Is anyone disturbed by the fact that during the Democratic Pres. Debates the candidates just throw out Martin Luther King Jr's name whenever they can? I've seen four of the debates and MLKJ's name/vision has been whored around the stage by just about by everyone. I understand what they are trying to do (associate themselves with his vision/dreams/hopes....and get closer to widely untapped voting pool), but doesn't this pandering seem to cheapen the message? I don't know if I'll be able to get my feelings across properly on this post, but it just doesn't feel right throwing his name around like that. The way some of these guys talk about MLK I'm expecting him to walk out on stage, and publicly endorse them. He'll then proclaim he was never assassinated and has been chillin with Elvis in Vegas. All the while secretly meeting with each candidate and giving them each their assurance of his vote. All kidding aside, doesn't anyone have a problem with the matter of fact way the candidates speak about MLK? Throughout our education as children (K-8) their were parts of history that were glossed over, and other parts that the school system focused on. Entering high school you could be dumb as shit when it comes to history, but their are 3 things that are drilled into your brain that are the holy trinity when it comes to education.
1. George Washington was the first President of the United States
2. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves
3. Martin Luther King Jr. "I have a dream"
Martin Luther King Jr and his message command respect and dignity, something that has been instilled in us since our youth. Yet hearing candidates manipulate those ideas/feelings into a tool for their success is despicable. MLK's message should not be a platform for a campaign, but the foundation that should be in each and everyone of us especially a presidential candidate. I know the US is all not where it should be, but I thought we were all heading and moving toward that direction. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I thought MLK's message was the norm, not a campaign platform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home