9.12.2004

I love the Yankees, but.....

As a Yankee fan, you inherit your hero's early on. For me The Holy Trinity of Yankee favorites are Donnie Baseball, Willie Randolph, and Bernie Williams. Theses choices were made and in a sense I had no say in it. Growing up being a fan, your just attracted to certain players. Whether it be their style of play, batting stance, or just overall attitude toward baseball. I don't remember how, when, or why I fell in love with Donnie baseball, he is just there in my memory. The same goes for Willie Randolph. But Bernie Williams is another story. I remember the day as if it were yesterday. I was twelve years old going through a freshly unsealed pack of baseball cards. Scuffling through the pack of '90-'91 Topps cards I came across Bernie Williams. At this point in time, I have never heard of him. But instantly somehow I know something was special. I flipped the card over and saw that he was from Puerto Rico, and that was it. I said to myself "This is my new favorite player." I don't know if I was looking for a Hispanic role-model or something, but it happened that quick. Thinking back to that time in my life brings back feeling that I don't think can ever be reproduced by something else. I'm not exactly sure the cause for my resent sentimentality. Maybe the anniversary of 9/11 has something to do with it. Maybe the uncertainty of my future. Maybe my man-period is approaching, I just don't know. But I do know one thing. For all my sentimentality nothing will ever make me want to buy this memorabilia from Bernie Williams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home